Saturday, March 13, 2010

Whiskey in the Jar

Sometimes I can't even believe the ridiculous life I lead!

On a whim, I called up the Strathmore box office Tuesday to cash in my free tix on any 2009-2010 show. I had no plans for St. Patrick's Day and I def needed to celebrate my Irish heritage (1/8th) in some way so I decided to see the Celtic Tenors. What a great decision.

My tickets were box seats (!) and I even gained admittance to the Comcast Lounge in the lower promenade. A glass of Merlot, some finger foods, a bit of mingling and I was good to go. The concert had a great mix of music from opera, to Eric Clapton, to contemporary Irish songs and traditional Irish folksongs. The tenors handled each genre superbly and effortlessly.

Obviously they sang a stunning redition of Danny Boy, which ironically was written by an Englishman who never stepped foot in Ireland, but the song that stood out the most to me was an a capella rendition of Shenandoah. The simplicity and purity of the harmonies captured the true essence of that song; it was beautiful. Annnnnd the Irish drinking song, Whiskey in a Jar, was a huge audience pleaser :)

After the concert, I went back to the VIP lounge where champagne and desserts were served. The Celtic Tenors and their musical director joined the reception and I got to meet all of them- such genuine, humble and down to earth guys! PS. Their accents were so cute! Got some CDs signed and now I'm set for a truly Irish playlist for the office on Wednesday.

Anyone down for a trip to Ireland?











No comments:

Post a Comment