Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Really, Really Ridiculously Good Looking

Do you think Icelanders ever tire of being ridiculously good looking? I mean, my god the people over there are like their island nation's landscape- absolutely stunning. It's just not fair. On my trip over there I did not see one person that stuck out in my mind as 'ugly.' Really, the ugliest it got was a decent, average look; neutral- not overwhelmingly ugly or pretty. Granted, I mainly was checking out the younger crowd, but even the older people were pleasant to the eye. As for height, the shortest person must have been 5'10, man or woman... I'm still trying to wrap my head around this.

America's beauty comes in its diversity, representing every nation on the planet which means that we have many types of beautiful people walking down the street. Each person does their own thing, and has their own unique cultural and fashionable look, which is awesome. Americans know how to work it ;) The Iceland look is- different, for a lack of better words. There are characteristics that seem to carry across the entire population, most likely because there are only 320,000 of them.

It's really hard to explain how Iceland's phenom of procreating supermodels supersedes the American norm. It's as if all the Icelanders got together and orchestrated a recipe for having a great fashion sense, being tall, having gorgeous eyes and smiles (I checked the teeth situation, they seemed to have that pretty under control, unlike the English), having a great head of hair, maintaining beautiful skin, and being well poised. Collectively, they've got a streamlined beauty thing going on; simple, fresh, classic.

Scandinavian Supermodels with a Twist

Icelandic ladies, you have raised the bar awfully high (See Miss World, 2005 to the left). I thought I was lookin' right headin' out in jeans on my rĂșntur. Oh boy was I wrong. Clearly the American dressy/casual combo has no place in Iceland (Granted, I didn't bring my A game because that doesn't fit in a suitcase hahaha). All of you were in couture dresses and heels, with an ever-so-slight hint of punk. Though the influence seemed to be a European chic, you pulled off the ensemble with a purely Icelandic presence, which I totally dug. You were tall, really tall- especially with heels. Your long, straight, blond or strawberry blond hair was accented with a single braid framing your perfect face. I give up, you win.

Vikings in Suits

Icelandic men. Oh, Icelandic men. Let me just say- I am a fan. Thank you for keeping in touch with your Viking roots and maintaining your manly physique. Those tall frames, handsome and masculine faces, broad shoulders, buff biceps, and firm bodies really made an impression on me. I don't know if you go to a gym or if you just row Viking ships in the Atlantic all day but whatever you do, keep up the good work!

What makes Icelanders even more awesome (as if that list wasn't already long enough) is that they're extremely nice. They're not snobby about being walking works of art. I think we can all agree that if you're beautiful on the inside and out, that's a winning combination. Iceland is full of winners :)

Technically, Iceland is on both the American and European tectonic plates so that makes the country part American... Take note: Iceland, consider yourself adopted by America. Share your ridiculous gorgeousness with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment